If you’re a small business owner, getting more awareness for your business is probably the most important thing to you. Every business wants new customers. The more the merrier, right?
However, it might seem like a Herculean task to get the word out about your business. How do you get more people to know about what you can do for them? It’s easy. Here are 7 easy ways to get your business out there:
- Get other people to do it: Customers always prefer to listen to what people say about you than what you say about yourself. That’s why referral systems are so genius. Take a leaf from the greats – PayPal, Uber, and even Google. No matter what type of business you run, referrals are the best way to spread the word about your business and attract new clients. Word-of-mouth works wonders for creating publicity for your business. Think about it – how many products or brands have you bought simply because a friend or family member recommended them to you? If you want to create more awareness about your business, you need to implement a system that actively encourages referrals from your current customers. You could offer rewards in exchange for referrals, e.g. discounts.
- Work on your website: If you do not already have a website, you need to get one right now. In this digital age, people spend hours staring at their phone screens. You need to be wherever your target audience is, so if their eyes are focused on digital screens, you need to make sure they can find your business there. Even if you already have a website, you need to make sure it is visible. You need to check your website often to make sure the content and design are optimized and up-to-date. If you don’t understand how to, you can simply hire a website design company to do the heavy lifting for you.
- Put your business on online directories: Websites aren’t the only way you can boost your business’s visibility online. When you look up “photographers in Port Harcourt,” the first page of the search engine will probably be full of online directories. You need to ensure that every time someone searches the internet for a service you offer, your business is one of the first to come up. Some examples of online directories with high SEO rankings in Nigeria include FineLib, BusinessList, VConnect, etc.
- Promote your expertise: One way to publicize your business is by publicizing your expertise. When people see that you know what you’re doing, they will seek your business naturally. One way to do this is through blog posts. For example, if you run a construction company, you can write blog posts that show you have in-depth knowledge about different aspects of construction. This way, you become a thought leader that people seek out because they trust that you are an expert in your industry. Another way you can promote your expertise is through seminars or panel discussions on topics that are relevant to your field.
- Partner with other people: One great way of promoting your business is by partnering with people who already have influence among your target audience. You could partner with influencers or even complementary brands. For example, if you run a bakery, you can partner with a coffee shop. Influencers, when chosen well, are great partners when it comes to creating awareness about your business. The key is to choose influencers that appeal to your specific target audience, and package your message well enough that it doesn’t feel forced. And for clarity, when we say “influencers”, we don’t necessarily mean those that will eat up your entire revenue for the year (there are different levels to it).
- Physical spaces matter too: Even if your business is fully digital, placing it in physical spaces helps to increase people’s awareness about it. When you’re trying to get more people to know about your business, it is important to get in their faces. You don’t have to spend a lot of money on billboards or newspaper ads. Sometimes, little things help to place your brand at the front of peoples’ minds. You can place stickers on or in areas that your target audience frequent. If you have a very tight budget, you can get people to act as your physical spaces without them even knowing. Give out branded items to some of your frequent customers or key influencers, and watch the magic happen. If you run a car dealership, give out custom keychains. Whatever you do, just make sure your business is everywhere your audience is.
- Good old networking: Networking is an age-old strategy for getting the word out about what you do. When you go to events, introduce yourself to people and slip your business into the conversation. You need to attend events that are relevant to your industry and your target audience. The key to networking is to approach conversations with a “here’s how I can help you” attitude instead of a “here’s how you can help me” one.
The more people that know about your business, the more you grow your brand. If you’re a small business owner, you understand the importance of publicity and awareness in boosting sales and brand recognition. If you use even one of these 7 tips, your business will get the visibility you want in no time.