If you’re a business owner, you’ve probably had your ears drummed off with how important it is to make your business sound interesting to people. But sometimes, it’s easier said than done. It can be difficult to summarize everything your business does while keeping it interesting.
No matter what type of business you run, there will be many moments where you will have to explain what you do to someone or a group of people. That is why you need to learn how to make what you do catch anyone’s attention. These 4 tips will help you in making your business appear to be the best thing after sliced bread (lol):
- Focus on the things that are new or unique about your brand: One thing I’ve come to realize is that there are very few new fields. Whatever business you’re into, there are many other businesses that have done it for longer and maybe even better. One mistake a lot of people make when talking about their businesses is simply saying the line of business they are in – “hi I’m into fashion”, I bake bread”. Nobody wants to hear about your bread business. What they want to hear is what makes you different from others. Here are some ways you can present your brand as being unique:
- Mention WHY you do what you do: Sometimes, the spark of your business is in the story of how you began. When you mention why you started your business, it leads you to talk about the unique problem(s) you solve, and that is what people are interested in.
- Mention HOW you do what you do: Some businesses are unique because of their processes. That’s why handcrafted fashion items are more expensive than those made in factories. If you use a secret recipe in your bakery, mention that. If you create all your designs from scratch, that’s something worth talking about.
- Mention WHO helps you do what you do: People are often interested in people. The most interesting thing about your business could be the people who help you run it. For example, do you have an all-female staff? Do you only hire chefs who have undergone over 20 years of culinary training? These are things that make your business sound much more interesting to people.
- Be a storyteller: Never make a pitch sound like a pitch. People would rather listen to stories than listen to things that seem like prepared presentations. You need to learn the art of storytelling if you are going to sell your business to people. Start with the origin of your business, tell the stories of the people whose problems your business solved, and describe the things that make you so passionate about your business. You need to sell emotions, rather than services. If you are not a good storyteller, it’s time for you to either learn how to tell stories or hire someone who can.
- Talk about your business with passion: Passion is such an enticing thing. There is something endearing about someone who is passionate about what they do. If you are not passionate about your business, it might be tough for you to sell it. When you speak about your business with passion, the excitement in your voice is contagious, and it makes what you’re saying all the more interesting.
- Tell people what they want to hear: You need to talk about the parts of your business that are relevant to the person you are talking to. Never make the mistake of having a general line that you give to everyone. Think about what part of your business the person or people you are speaking to would be most interested in and focus on that part more. If you’re talking to a group of investors, talk about your business in terms of sales and sales potential. If you’re talking to tech bros, talk about how your business is easily accessible even digitally. Refine your message to the people you are talking to.
Telling people about your business becomes easier when you master how to make it exciting. It is an unavoidable part of being a business owner, and so you need to go hard on it. These 4 tips will make ANY business sound interesting to anyone. Give them a try and see people suddenly become more interested in what your business has to offer.